Friday 7 January 2011

Russian Constructivism:

I stumbled upon Russian Constructivism when I did some research on Franz Ferdinand's album front cover for 'You Could Have It So Much Better', which I initially liked the style of and decided to take influence from it. It was brought to my attention that the cover was taken from a certain style, the aforementioned style. Constructivism appears to be from 1919 onwards and was associated with designs in industry, and later in revolution. It, as the name suggests, originated in Russia, and features include sharp angles, with a recurring colour scheme of red, cream and black, which mostly are iconic of Russia, due to Soviet rule.

I was previously struggling for a meaning to my music video, especially with the background sequences. It had no link with my ancillary texts, but with the addition of a constructivist influence, I have decided to re-shoot my backgrounds featuring industry and sharp angles, as seen in Russian Constructivist art, finally giving me a theme for my entire production. This, no doubt, will influence my new draft of my second ancillary text, the magazine advert for the album release, in order to keep with the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment