Tuesday 28 September 2010

Audience Theory:

ACTIVE AUDIENCE:

My audience will be an active audience, as a postmodern text relies on an active audience to find links between other texts. Social class/status, I believe, will not affect the audience/spectator, nor will their background or gender etc, but their history of viewing texts will affect them, which I will go on to discuss now:

A passive (hypodermic level) audience will look at a text and believe it to be a music video, in this case. This will be because the music video will not be postmodern (which is impossible, because aesthetically all music videos are postmodern, but for this example to work, let's forget about that). However, with my music video, it will be a pastiche of the 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' music promo by Bob Dylan, with the stylization based on the Digipak I have created which is a pastiche (and simulacrum) of the Franz Ferdinand album cover for 'You Could Have it so Much Better', which itself is a pastiche of a Russian Constructivism poster, effectively making my Digipack a copy of a copy. These postmodern features will have the audience finding similarities and comparisons between all these media texts that have been intertextually referenced, making them active.

(This was edited on the 04/01/11 when my knowledge of postmodernism was more accurate and after I had changed my mind on the Digipack plans and decided to base the background footage of my music video on my Digipack design. I had previously incorrectly stated that my audience would be passive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment