Friday 17 December 2010

First Draft Edit - Whole Music Video:


Above is my original music video, before I decided to re-shoot and re-edit my music video in the style of Russian Constructivism.

The main reasons why I have decided to re-shoot this, aside from the new visual idea of Russian Constructivism, are as follows:


  •  It looked unprofessional
  • The flashing colours used are unconventional of a rock/indie music video
  • the beginning wasn't catchy enough - the beginning needs to catch the audience's attention straight away, or they may end up turning the channel over, or (if consuming the product on YouTube, for example) they may end up clicking off the URL.
  • The beginning also looked awful, in general, such as the camera shake, which was intended, but turned out to look awful.
  • The contrast between the lead singer and the backgrounds is too great, and it's too obvious that a green screen has been used, which detaches the audience from focussing and getting fully involved in the video, because it is too obvious that it's a music video - badly done, however.
  • Background where irrelevant/had no meaning. I used college grounds for some backgrounds, which meant that not much  effort was put in to my music video, and even the front of a Tesco shop, which was meant to highlight the music video as being intentionally care-free, by using stupid backgrounds, but it seemed more like a 'product placement' of sorts, by advertising Tesco.
  • At 01:14 I made an attempt to make the background have a meaning, by having other 'band members' (fictional) act out the 'light tickle' lyric board. However, because of the angles used in the two shots (drastically different), it looked odd, unreal and needed to be cut, if I was to use this version at all.
  • At 01:30 I decided to have the lead singer walk in to shot, in the background, even though he's in the foreground doing the lyric boards. I liked the concept of this, but I could have expanded on the idea. However, it seemed irrelevant to the music video (except for self-reflexivity) as it only happens the once, which is why this scene also wouldn't be in my final cut, no matter how good the concept is, the final idea wasn't developed enough.
  • For an entire minute of the music video, the lead singer eats a bag of Skittles. This was done on purpose, to denote a 'music video gone wrong' (production team had messed up by not doing enough lyric boards). However, the final product looked as though I had just ran out of ideas, and got Billy to eat some sweets, which wasn't the case.
I will be re-doing my music video from scratch, perhaps re-shooting the lyric board sequence, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment